The Kitchen Garden program is run in Year 3. For more information about the program visit https://www.manlywestpandc.org.au/kitchen-garden
The pleasurable food education philosophy
The purpose of the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation is to introduce pleasurable food education to children during their learning years, in order to form positive food habits for life. The recipe for effective food education is ...
- Pleasurable food education emphasises the flavours as well as the health benefits of fresh, seasonal, delicious food.
- Dishes cooked reflect the vegetables, herbs and fruits grown, season-by-season, by the children in their organic gardens, and also reflect the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
- Kitchen educators emphasise balance and moderation, and endorse the concept of preparing fruit-based desserts ‘sometimes-only'.
- Pleasurable food education is designed to be fully integrated into the curriculum or learning framework as it offers infinite possibilities to reinforce literacy, numeracy, science, cultural studies and all aspects of environmental sustainability.
- Pleasurable food education delivers observable social benefits to all children, including those with special needs.
- Pleasurable food education encourages critical thinking, teamwork, an understanding of cause and effect and increased levels of observation.
For more information visit the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation website.